Appleby in Westmorland

Boroughgate

Home
Boroughgate
High Weind
Scattergate & Doomgate
Bridge Street
Sands & Battlebarrow
Bongate
Jubilee
Dufton
Long Marton
Bolton
Hoff
Great Ormside
Great Asby
Horse Fair
Appleby Jazz Festival
Appleby Blues Festival
Public Transport
Appleby Sport
Cumbrian Dialect
What's On
Contact Us

You will find a list of resorses and things to do in Boroughgate below, click on the photos for more info.

Appleby Castle
Boroughgate
Cumbria,
CA16 6XH
 
(Closed to the public)

applecastle.jpg

Click here for Jubilee

The castle was founded by Ranulf le Meschin at the beginning of the 12th century. In about 1170 a square stone keep was added which is known as Caesars Tower. This rises to about 80 feet and has four storeys. The castle was in Royal hands when the Scottish King, William the Lion, invaded the Eden Valley in 1174. The constable of the castle surrendered without a fight.

In 1203 the castle was granted to Richard de Vipont by King John. In 1269 it was inherited by Roger de Clifford and it remained in the ownership of the Clifford family for nearly 400 years. In the mid 17th century, Lady Anne Clifford made the castle her home and she was responsible for the restoration of the castle. On her death the castle passed to the Earls of Thanet. They were responsible for converting the hall block into a classical mansion house.

It is now a private residence and is not open to the public

The High Cross bears the inscription 'Retain your loyalty, preserve your rights', and dates from the 17th Century

highcross.jpg

Tony Robinson and Ancestry.co.uk

Weltweit mit KLM

Royal British Legion
46 Boroughgate
Appleby-in-Westmorland
CA16 6XG
Tel 017683 52164

logos_logo.jpg

St Ann's
stannes.jpg

St Anne's Hospital was founded by Lady Anne Clifford, in 1651. In Lady Anne's time, there were many itinerant beggars, and her concern for those who were old women in dire need led her to build the alms-houses, the Hospital of St Anne, which is still in use today

Tony Robinson Ancestry Tutorial 300x250

Masonic Lodge Boroughgate
masoniclodge.jpg

ChateauOnline-Europes leading online wine merchant

White Hart Hotel
34 Boroughgate
Appleby -in- Westmoreland
Cumbria, CA166XG
Tel: 017683 51598

wh.jpg

The White House & Aboard Inn Public House
whitehouse.jpg

The story of Appleby is full of character and incident. The town returned two MPs from 1298 and, prior to the Great Reform Act of 1832, major landowners "proposed" their own candidates, thus making the election rather a formality. In 1781, William Pitt was returned as one of the two MPs; he later became Britain’s youngest ever Prime Minister. Another notable political figure was Jack Robinson, MP from 1764 to 1774. He was implicated in bribery and corruption during Lord North’s government, which lost the American colonies. Although some believe him to be the person referred to in the phrase: before you can say Jack Robinson, others date it from before his lifetime.

Hotels, Car Hire, Sightseeing and Transfers

Court yartd Gallery
courtyardgallery.jpg

Blacks Dec Sale 300x250

Toddle in Childrens Cloths
a11.jpg

A Stephensons Green grocers
a04.jpg

Clich below for High Weind
appleby.jpg

Neil Dents, News Agents, Boroughgate
conclub.jpg

Hare & Hounds Public House
aw004038.jpg

Weltweit mit KLM

ChateauOnline-Europes leading online wine merchant

Ewbank's Butchers
a05.jpg

Click Below for The Tufton Arms Hotel Reservations

We make it easier for you to relax this winter

Tufton Arms Hotel
cnw30735.jpg

Flower Basket
dsc00014_edited.jpg

Hotels, Car Hire, Sightseeing and Transfers

moot.jpg

Appleby Tourist Information
The Moot Hall
Appleby In Westmorland
Cumbria
CA166XE
Tel. 017683 51177

appbtic2.jpg

Croun & Cushion
crown38.jpg

At the bottom of Boroughgate, a Gothic arcade leads to the 12th century Church of St. Lawrence. The church is a hodgepodge of styles from its Perpendicular exterior to its Early English and Gothic Revival interior. Burned by the Scots in 1174, the church again suffered under the Scottish raid of 1388. It was altered in the 14th century when the tower to the nave was opened.
 
The oldest part of the church—the lower part of the tower (only one window is original)—vies for attention with the early 14th century porch with its dogtooth moulding. The aisles have irregularly laid out five bay arcades. The chancel has a two bay arcade dated from the 14th century while the south aisle west window, chapel screens, clerestory and upper part of the tower are from the 15th century.
 
In the 17th century Lady Anne Clifford restored much that was burned in the Scottish raids. She added the north chapel and east end buttresses. The Clifford Chapel houses Lady Anne Clifford’s altar tomb, constructed before her death in 1676. An alabaster effigy of her mother, Margaret, lies alongside and was erected in 1617. The church boasts the oldest (c.1542) working organ in Britain, brought from Carlisle Cathedral in 1683. The organ case woodwork dates from the 1540s, 1680s, and 1830s. Three volumes of “Foxe’s Acts and Monuments of the Martyrs”, chained to a box in the church date to 1631.

Eden trading & David Cleators Electrical
image_00079.jpg

Tony Robinson Ancestry Tutorial 300x250

cloisters.jpg

Taste Of Eden Sandwich Shop Low Weind
toe.jpg

ChateauOnline-Europes leading online wine merchant

Tony Robinson Ancestry Tutorial 300x250

   

Bridge Street